Air Conditioning Types
When it comes to purchasing an air conditioning unit, there are a variety of types to choose from. Some are able to cool entire homes while others are best for individual rooms or apartments; some are mobile while some are installed to stay in one place for over 20 years; and some cost a considerable amount while others can be purchased for a few hundred dollars.
Here are the five main types: window unit air conditioning systems, split unit air conditioning systems, central air conditioning systems, and ductless air conditioning systems.
- Central air conditioning systems are the most popular because of their ability to cool an entire home, although they are expensive to install, especially if ducts need to be added to your home.
- Window unit air conditioning systems are cheaper to install and maintain, but only cool one area and are often noisy.
- Ductless air conditioning systems get rid of the need to install ducts, but have a higher initial cost than central air conditioning systems.
- Split unit air conditioning systems consist of an indoor and outdoor component, and are considerably more expensive, but have very high energy-efficiency ratings.
- Packaged air conditioning systems are usually used in hotels or individual rooms, and while considered to be energy efficient, they cannot cool an entire home.
There is an air conditioning system to fit the needs of any renter or homeowner—it’s simply a matter of doing the research and finding what works for you. Get started here by browsing the articles below, and when you’re ready for cost estimates and more information, search for a licensed HVAC contractor near you.
How much will Air Conditioning and Heating cost you?
Limited Time Offers from Our Partners
Remodeling tweets and photos posted daily. Join Us on Twitter