The Latest Trends in Kitchen Lighting
Whether you’re enjoying a cup of coffee on a rainy day, listening to your family’s happy chatter, or cooking up a romantic evening for two, the kitchen has become one of the focal points of the home. If you’re planning a kitchen remodel or just want to brighten up your workspace, there are some exciting new trends in kitchen lighting.
The placement of your lighting is almost as important as the overall design of the kitchen. Use your lights to really highlight and show off your space.
Ambient Lighting. Ambient lighting helps to create the overall illumination of a room. Be conscious of the size of your kitchen when choosing your fixtures.
- Track lighting is effective for smaller spaces. Track lighting systems use incandescent, halogen, or fluorescent bulbs, and can be installed with a dimmer switch for optimal control.
- Recessed lighting is more effective in larger kitchens. These small lights can be placed all around your kitchen for even, un-intrusive lighting.
- Pendant lighting is becoming a popular way to add some artistic flare to kitchens. Although they don’t provide a large amount of light, they are available in several attractive options, and look great over islands or dining areas.
- Wall sconces are another decorative choice for lighting. Available in both modern and classic designs, these can be an easy solution for a quick fix to a dark space.
Task Lighting. Task lighting, or purpose oriented lighting, can be a way to make your space more energy efficient. Instead of lighting the whole kitchen at once, take advantage of this option by strategically placing your lights.
- Under-cabinet mounts are a great example of task lighting. Halogen-puck lighting and Xenon fixtures are some of the options available, and both sport low-voltage bulbs for energy conservation.
Natural Lighting. Make the most of natural light by installing windows or skylights. Take advantage of whatever sunlight is available and cut down on energy costs.
Unlike the old-days when you only had two finishes to choose from, chrome and polished brass, there are now a wide range of options to choose from. Some of the following links have some beautiful examples of current styles. Take advantage of our free-service, and have a certified contractor give you an estimate to spice up your kitchen with better lighting.
How much will Kitchen Remodeling cost you?
Limited Time Offers from Our Partners
Remodeling tweets and photos posted daily. Join Us on Twitter