Energy Star HVAC
According to Energy Star, half of the energy used in your home goes to heating and cooling. Owning Energy Star heating and cooling products helps to offset heating and cooling costs and reduce the toll on the environment. They do this by meeting stringent standards set by the U.S. Department of Energy and exceeding minimum Federal guidelines on energy efficiency.
Although the up front cost for Energy Star-labeled products are higher, you will save money on energy bills in the long run. Here’s how:
- Qualified air source heat pumps are 8 percent more efficient than standard new models and 20 percent more efficient than typical older models.
- Qualified geothermal heat pumps, which use the ground instead of outside air to provide heat, are among the most efficient heating and cooling technologies available. Energy Star geothermal heat pumps use 30 percent less energy than standard heat pumps.
- Qualified residential air conditioners use 10 percent less energy than conventional models and include timers for temperature control, saving an average of $260 in the course of the product cycle.
- Qualified boilers have an annual fuel utilization efficiency rating (AFUE) of 85 percent or higher.
- Qualified boilers have features such as electric ignition to eliminate waste from an ongoing pilot light, innovative combustion technologies, and sealed combustion using outside air.
- Qualified oil and gas furnaces have AFUE ratings of 83 to 90 percent and are 15 percent more efficient than standard models.
- Qualified ceiling fans move air up to 20 percent more efficiently and save $15 to $25 per year in utility bills.
Check out our Energy Star library for Energy Star products.
No matter what type of heating and cooling system you own, it’s possible to boost energy efficiency with appropriate sizing and installation, regular maintenance, and sufficient home and duct sealing. For these needs and more, contact a certified HVAC specialist.
Articles related to Energy Star HVAC
How much will Air Conditioning and Heating cost you?
Limited Time Offers from Our Partners
Remodeling tweets and photos posted daily. Join Us on Twitter