Doorbell Options, from Wired and Wireless to Dragons and Butterflies
Considering the doorbell is the first thing your guests look for when approaching your home, it makes a great opportunity to create a memorable first impression. You can go ‘standard,’ or you can make a statement about your personality, hobbies, or passions with a unique, lighted or non-lighted doorbell.
The Doorbell Button
In a world where you can express yourself by the clothes you wear, the cars you drive, and the furniture you buy, it’s no wonder the doorbell market has gone full vogue. Currently, you can find any number of designs for wired doorbell buttons and the wireless versions are steadily increasing as well. There are literally thousands of designs, ranging from starfish, seahorse, dolphin, and mermaid doorbells for the seafarers, dragonflies, birds, frogs, and geckos for the nature lovers, and moons and stars for astronomers. You can even find golf club and fisherman doorbells.
The doorbell button is only part of the system. The button can easily be changed with an existing doorbell system connecting to the low voltage wires on the outside of the wall. The inside ring, or chime, mechanism is the other part of the system.
Sound. There are many chimes available; however, the most common chimes play an 8-note Westminster or Whittington, a 2-note melody, a modern, simple ring, or the classic Victorian chime. For music lovers, you can personalize your chimes with a recordable chime that comes with dozens of songs. You can also record your own songs live or from the CD or MP3 player. Also available is a weatherproof, wireless bell receiver that will allow you to hear the bell outside of your home while you’re floating in your pool or barbequing on your deck.
Design. You’ll find an abundance of designs available in contemporary, antique, arts & crafts, and Zen styles. For those of you who have a modern “standard” chime box and would like to dress it up a bit, there are covers available for your existing box that would add style and character.
Materials. Along with a plethora of designs to choose from, there are also many choices in materials, such as copper, wood, metal, cast pewter, antique brass, and stainless steel.
Wired vs. Wireless
Both wired and wireless doorbells have their uses; yet, to many homeowners, there’s still a lot of confusion as to when it’s practical to go wireless vs. wired, hence our comparison:
- Wireless. there’s almost no installation involved – no wires running in and out of walls.
- Wired. Installation can be challenging with some homes because of the need to run wires throughout the house.
Sound Quality & Range
- Wireless. Sound strength is not as good as it is with wired, but continues gaining sound quality and range as time goes on – still, no match for wired. The range for wireless is improving with some long-range units extending out 300 to 500 feet.
- Wired. With a strong sound strength, wired beats wireless because of its ability to deliver high-quality sound and range at a cheaper cost.
- There’s not a big discrepancy here. Wireless models run about $5 to $10 higher than wired doorbell models so price isn’t relevant.
A Few Other Noteworthy Tips
- You get what you pay for. Cheaper wireless doorbells have been known to accidentally go off for no reason. It is caused by a mix up with other radio wave frequencies. Higher-end models block out background frequencies so there is less of an issue with more expensive models.
- If you want tons of choices when it comes to doorbell button designs, you’ll find that wired doorbells rule. Wireless is edging along and has a big selection; however they don’t hold a candle to wired doorbells.
Looking at the pros and cons of wired vs. wireless, wired doorbells lead the way with an overall advantage.
Articles related to Doorbell Options, from Wired and Wireless to Dragons and Butterflies
- Toggle between Your Switches with Switched Dimmers
- Clip on your Round Dimmer Switch for Easy Rotating
- Get the Security and Energy Savings of Timer Switches
How much will Window Replacement cost you?
Limited Time Offers from Our Partners
Remodeling tweets and photos posted daily. Join Us on Twitter