Stain Your Deck’s Way to Perfection
Decks and patios are wonderful additions to our homes. They provide an extension of our square footage, allowing us to capitalize on outdoor living whenever possible. Many enjoyable days and evenings are spent on these surfaces, and that is why it is so important to keep them in good repair.
Stain is a fantastic product. A pigmented liquid, it works to deepen the natural hues of woods and brings designer colors to brighten drab concrete.
- Wood Stains. Wood stains can be either transparent or solid, depending on the look you are hoping to achieve. Stains work by penetrating the wood, sealing and protecting it against decay, mold, and insect damage. Some stains are also waterproof and help to protect against the elements. Stains are available in multiple shades, allowing you to find just the right look for your application.
- Concrete Stains. There are a variety of concrete stains. Some are made to penetrate the surface, while others rest on top much like paint. The stains work wonders for recreating old concrete surfaces, and some can even add texture to make concrete less slick in well-traveled areas.
Appling stain to your deck or patio can be a labor-intensive process.
- Wood surfaces should be thoroughly cleaned before staining. Use a power washer to remove any old products, bringing the wood down to a fresh grain. With a sprayer or hand sponge, apply up to three coats of stain. After the stain has dried completely, treat with a clear waterproof sealant.
- Concrete surfaces are prepped in a slightly different manner. Before applying the stain, clean the concrete with an acid-based cleanser. This will not only clean the cement, but it will help prepare the porous concrete to better absorb the stain. Apply the stain, and be sure to allow it to completely dry between coats.
A fresh coat of stain is a great way to rejuvenate your deck or patio, as well as to help protect it and prolong its lifespan. Request free estimates from prescreened painting contractors in your area to bring some new life to your deck or patio.
Articles related to Stain Your Deck’s Way to Perfection
- Hammocks Bring Ultimate Relaxation to the Deck or Patio
- Lighting Products for the Deck or Patio
- Heat Lamps, Providing Year-Round Comfort on the Deck
- Create Ambience with an Outdoor Fireplace
- Tips on Buying Outdoor Furniture
- Awnings, a Valuable Asset to the Deck or Patio
How much will Air Conditioning and Heating cost you?
Limited Time Offers from Our Partners
Remodeling tweets and photos posted daily. Join Us on Twitter