From Renee on August 29th, 2008 in CalFinder News, General Remodel, Kitchen Remodel, Landscaping
Before the announcement, a reminder, so that we’re all on the same page. Back in June, we gave you some homework. In Help Us Find the Most Popular Remodeling Project, we asked readers which area of the home they were either planning to remodel or hoping to tackle sometime soon. Thanks to everyone who voted; we got a ton of votes and have finally sorted through the results.
And the most popular remodeling project is … landscaping! 30% of our respondents prioritize “installing a new deck, patio or other hardscaping in their yard.”
Next in the winner’s circle, “a complete kitchen makeover” took 16% of the votes, while “installing solar panels” was not far behind with 11%.
Honorable mentions to go the following (you voted for them, but in far smaller numbers):
- Replacing old, single-pane windows with energy-efficient models or custom designs
- Master suite, including closet and bath conversion
- Installing the ideal white picket fence, or other fencing variety
- Complete bathroom makeover
- Basement or attic conversion
- Adding an outdoor room, extending your downstairs floorplan, or building up to a second level
- Repainting the exterior
“Installing new siding” and “repainting the interior” didn’t make the list at all.
Today, we posted a blog on Exterior Renovations Taking the Lead in Today’s Market. Realtor Magazine and the 2007 Cost vs. Value Report both site exterior projects and kitchen remodeling as having high rates of return and remaining a priority to homeowners. Our poll shows that readers agree. Go figure.
Do you disagree with the results here? Send in a comment if you demand a re-vote!