From Tim on July 30th, 2009 in Kitchen Remodel
Open Forum: Q&A with the Readers
Photo Credit: maggiephotos
Having a hard time locating parts and furnishings for your manufactured home? You’re not alone! Carol has some damage to her kitchen cabinet and wants to know what kind of materials her cabinets are made of?
Q: Hello. This may sound stupid, but I have no idea what my kitchen cabinets are made of.To give you a brief description, I live in a manufactured home and they look like they are [made of] a very hard solid plastic or laminate. There are two scrapes that have left an indent in the cabinet and I want to repair them, but don’t know how.
A: Carol, repairing kitchen cabinet from a manufactured home can be tough. These types of homes are usually built and outfitted directly at the factory. However, there are several options available.
- Old laminate cabinets can be fixed quite easily. You can buy sheets of veneer at Home Depot or Lowes.
- If you can’t find a match there, try painting it. You may decide that all of the cabinets could use a fresh coat of paint. That way everything is uniform again.
- You can also take measurements of the damaged panel and do some shopping around. Check the local home improvement stores for similar cabinets.
- Or check out parts for manufactured homes. This website provides professionals who can assist you in finding the right cabinet for your kitchen.
- It’s possible that the cabinet isn’t available anymore. If that’s the case, you’ll just have to find the closest match.
Can anyone else shed any light on the matter? Post your advice!