From Engineering on September 05, 2008 in General
Maybe you’d like to build your boxer or labrador a mansion, but you think it’s better to start small. Well I agree. But that doesn’t mean you have to go mundane. Turns out a lot of people have put a lot of thought into creative home building for pets. Here are some great links to a wide range of ideas for your perusal and inspiration:
Turn your doghouse green with some wild ideas from Sustainable Pets. These clever pet lovers are all the rage right now. Here’s a link to just one article about their green-roofed doghouse. Here is their catalog, and here are some more great tips for building a green dog house.
Does your dog have designer tastes? There’s no reason Fido’s doghouse has to be an A-frame. Check out these sites for designer choices for the fashionably-inclined:
- Orange Skin indoor-outdoor doghouse…complete with ladder.
- Go mod with DesignGo. Their designer dog “crates” have gained some real notoriety of late by turning pet transport into pet luxury.
- Juicy Couture...for the day your small dog stops barking and starts…blinging?
- When designer is not enough, extravagance is the logical next step, from a $500 air conditioning unit to a $3,000 log cabin. Here are some ideas for the pet owner who wants their dog to live better than their neighbors.
- Climate Control
- The Hemingway Cabin! Here’s to harnessing the literary genius in all of us…dogs.
- Dog house replicas of your house! This way guys…when you’re in the doghouse it will feel like you never left.
- He’s so big he needs a duplex.
Okay, back to basics. Here are a couple for the traditionalists out there. They are cheap and effective, who could ask for more? (Where’s my AC!)
- Plastic doghouses: the economical, simple, practical choice.
- Do-it-yourself conventional doghouses. (Think Snoopy)
Just a few more unconventional choices. Just in case you want your doghouse to withstand the apocalypse (or, at least, everything but) check out these plans for a ferrocement doghouse that can put a leash on hurricanes and earthquakes. On the softer, Three Little Pigs-side of things, you can even build a doghouse using straw bales. Although something tells me the Big Bad Wolf couldn’t touch these houses.
So there you have it. More than I ever could have imagined about doghouse opportunities. Although now my mind is absolutely aflutter with wild ideas - maybe a doggy-skyscraper! or a tree doghouse! (complete with ladder). I’ll have to get working on those. In the meantime enjoy these very creative ideas for making your dog feel special and comfortable.