There’s no doubt about it, pets have so much to offer. They are warm and loving, loyal and protective. They can calm or lift your mood, decrease stress, and add years to your life. They also, however, add pounds and pounds of hair all over your home – your floors, furniture, clothing, and every other nook and cranny.
Aside from booting your furry friend, there are other options you have for ridding your home of pet hair, dust, and lint. This is a good thing, because if your home is like mine you could literally sweep up enough fuzz to make a whole other pet….every single week.
Photo Credit: wsilver
Here are a few tips:
- Setting up an air purifier can help reduce the amount of dust in your home.
- Brush your pet at least weekly, daily is better, to reduce the amount of shedding.
- Consider switching to a pet food designed for healthier coats and skin, which can
also reduce shedding.
- Set up a home humidifier; hair is attracted to static, which is more prevalent in dry
- Sweep, vacuum, mop, or dust one room each day to keep hair, dust, and lint from
Photo Credit: ninahale
- Throw clothing, blankets, and any other washable items into the dryer with a fabric
softener sheet - the hot air will collect the hair and lint while the sheet will help
keep those items from becoming static-y and attracting more hair and lint.
- Keep a lint roller, brush, or special pet hair remover handy for pulling stubborn hairs
out of fabric – masking tape works, too,
- Bathing your pet regularly with a skin conditioning shampoo can remove lots of hair,
but also, moisturized skin sheds less.
- Consider only allowing your pet to enter a limited number of rooms in the house, this
will make cleaning easier.
- Invest in special products like anti-shedding wipes or sticky sheets designed to remove
pet hair from furniture and the pets themselves.
- Vacuum bare floors instead of sweeping – sweeping tends to rouse hair and dust into
the air where it will settle back onto your floor or furniture later.
- Replace air and furnace filters often to keep them working properly, which will help
remove hair and dust from the air.