From Engineering on April 14, 2008 in General
Home remodeling tends to carry a bad reputation as a stressful experience. It really doesnt have to be that way, with some careful planning and preparation, there is no reason it cant be a fun experience. Here are 20 ways to enjoy the remodeling process.
- Hire the right contractor. There is nothing worse than having a contractor that doesnt adhere to timelines, drives up the costs, and isnt respectful to your home life.
- Keep an open line of communication with your contractor. If you are gone a lot, it may help to schedule a weekly meeting for updates from your contractor.
- Have the right permits and inspections.
- Have a realistic timeline ahead of time.
- Only take on one project at a time.
- Keep your project well-organized.
- Avoid overspending. There is no stress like financial trouble; keep as close to your budget as possible.
- Discuss ahead of time with your contractor his scheduled hours of work, and specify any specific times you want to set aside for family obligations free of interference. For example, if Saturday or Sunday is your family day, you may want to have a construction-free zone for at least one day a week.
- Hire a renovation coach. If you have a full-plate, this is a more expensive but stress-free way of handling your remodel.
- Stay busy yourself. Sometimes, it can be fun to pitch in and take ownership of a project. Not to interfere with your contractor, but perhaps there are some areas where you can cut costs by doing some of the work yourself.
- Keep the project as clean as possible. Take an hour out each weekend and sweep, vacuum, and clean up to help keep your sanity and to provide better working conditions for the construction crew.
- Quarter off the renovation area to the best of your ability. This is one way to keep the project from becoming all-encompassing. You need a reprieve at the end of the day; a clean quite place to relax and unwind.
- Plan stress relievers. Take time away from the project just to clear your head and give yourself a break from the stress and mess.
- Maintaining a sense of humor throughout the process with keep some of those stress lines from developing.
- Find joy in each little accomplishment. It may not seem like much, but pace yourself on the project by celebrating each milestone along the way. This will help you keep the job in perspective and not lose heart.
- Create a scrapbook of the materials and ideas you want to incorporate into your project. This allows for quick reference.
- Have a realtor or appraiser give you an update on your homes value after the renovation is complete. This can be rewarding as well.
- Keep your eyes on the end-result; and focus on how your dream is becoming a reality.
- Plan a celebration or house warming party for when the project is finally completed. Not only will these help get you through the rough patches, but a big change like this should be celebrated and shown off to your friends and family.
- Look for ways to make the rest of your life easier during the construction. Maybe eat out more often, hire a maid to clean up occasionally, or use disposable dishes.
Begin your remodel process today by beginning your search for the right contractor.