From Dean Dowd on April 08, 2009 in General Remodel
Yes, two heads are better than one, along with four legs and four arms. What the heck am I talking about? Remodeling day of course! If you want a frustrating job to go somewhat smoothly, its a good idea to devise a list of tasks for each person to tackle. We realize this will save considerable amounts of cash by doing remodeling projects ourselves. But we dont understand that theres hardly anyone to blame, beside the dog, if we screw it up. Thats why its important to at least be organized. One last thing, before I wrote this, I was reminded that women can do just about anything a man can do. You may want to put this theory to the test. I wouldnt expect my better half to be hanging cabinets or doing wall demolitions in the kitchen, but it would be fun to watch. With that in mind, heres a mock schedule for a his and her remodeling day.
Task: Update Living Room (remove carpet, install laminate floor, paint)
- 9 a.m. Breakfast: Never work on an empty stomach. Both can help with this task. One person can cook the other does dishes.
- 9:45 a.m. Her first task is to throw down a drop cloth and prepare the wall for painting.
- 10 a.m. His first task is to remove old carpet and floor tacking.
- 10 a.m. Her next task is to paint the wall with a nice semi gloss.
- 11 a.m. His next task is to sweep the sub floor from all debris. Photo credit: pittaya
- 11:30 a.m. The wall is painted. She can help put down flooring.
- 11:30 a.m. His next task is to begin laying the tongue and grove floor.
- 12:30 p.m. Her next task is to measure and cut new pieces of floor.
- 1:30 p.m. Halfway done! Take a break for lunch.
- 3:30 p.m. Both finish the flooring, move on to painting other walls.
- 4 p.m. Both can finish up painting. But installing trim and baseboard will have to wait until the next day. Usually takes 24 hours for paint to dry completely.
- 5 p.m. He can clean up all tools. She can wash out brushes and rollers. Both can take a good look at the new room and pop a cool one.
Ready for an expert to handle the tough tasks? Let us help you find one, for free!