From Engineering on April 03, 2008 in Electrical
You aren’t paranoid, you just want to protect what is most important to you: your loved ones and the home you’ve built together. Home insurance will cover theft and fire, but there is no insurance to repair the traumatic effects of a home invasion or other tragic event. The simple installation of a home security system will bring you peace of mind and save you up to 20 percent on your homeowner’s insurance.
There are multiple companies that will install a security system, and for a monthly fee, provide 24-hour monitoring service. As the dramatic commercials demonstrate, services such as the following will call both you and the authorities in the event of an emergency.
- Brinks Home Security will do the initial basic install for $49 and the premium package for $155. Monthly 24/7 service begins at $29.99 a month.
- ADT Home Security installation price begins at $99 and their monthly service charge starts at $33. Prices escalate quickly depending on the extent of the system.
- SOS Alarm Company offers the same features and service, although they dont make their pricing information readily available. They prefer you to contact a local center for an estimate.
If you just want a basic security system without the expensive monthly payment, there are several quality systems you can install yourself. The best part is, you have the option not to be tied to a security company.
- Laser Shield is one system marketed by Costco, Circuit City, and online. Available at under $200, it is a quick solution to your security problems. This system works simply by plugging it in and using your phone line. You also have the option of a monthly service provider, but that is not required.
- Build a custom system to suit your individual needs. You can add a very basic monitoring service for as little as $8.95 per month. Many of these systems contain the feature to program-in numbers to call if the alarm is triggered when you are away, alerting you and the police of trouble. Select as many cameras as you need, door and window sensors, alarm sirens, and warning signs.
If you decide to go with a company, they wont allow you to install the system yourself as this is where they make a sizable chunk of their profit. The independent systems, on the other hand, will require some basic wiring for installation. If you plan to go this route, request a free estimate from a certified electrician.