Green Wednesday: Paper Insulation by GreenFiber

From on October 08, 2008 in Building Materials

Green FiberMost every school-age child has heard of the three R’s: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. Recycling is to take a product or material at the end of its usefulness and turning it into a usable raw material to make another product. That is exactly what GreenFiber of Charlotte, NC has successfully done.

In 2000, two rival companies in the wood products industry came together in an earth-friendly joint venture that has the capacity to turn what was once an environmentally friendly specialty product, cellulose-based recycled newsprint, into a major competitor in building products. Dennis Barineau, GreenFiber’s president, says, “As we go into the future, people are going to make choices about products that are sustainable. We think we’re well positioned compared with our competitors.” The product is called GreenFiber Cocoon Insulation.

GreenFiber InsulationWhat is GreenFiber Cocoon Insulation and why should you use it?
It is 85% recycled paper fiber, mostly recovered from consumer content; the other 15% are additives for fire resistance. This eco-friendly product is beneficial to you, the homeowner, by reducing drafts, suppressing noise, lowering energy consumption, providing fire resistance, and increasing resale value of your home. It uses natural, safe, recycled products and its performance is guaranteed.

Is GreenFiber Insulation hard for a homeowner to install?
Installing is not nearly as difficult as installing fiberglass. There are no rolls; there is no measuring, no cutting, and no pushing of prickly, abrasive fiberglass into tight spots. With GreenFiber, the coverage chart on the bag shows you how to calculate the amount needed to achieve the proper R-Value. The process involves only two people for installation: one to place the product into the blowing machine, and one to blow the insulation to the desired thickness. The loose-fill cellulose can be used in the attic, added over existing insulation for additional R-value, or professionally installed for high-efficient thermal protection of your entire home.

Will cellulose insulation cost more than fiberglass?
From every source of information I could gather, it seems that it is most cost effective, giving you the best value for your money. In the way of savings in energy bills alone, it will pay for itself month after month. It carries the Energy Star logo, so you know that this product is designed to conserve energy.

Will it burn?
According to GreenFiber, it has a Class 1/A fire rating as set by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. I watched a video of a 1998 Large Scale Outdoor Fire Demonstration conducted by the Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute, proving cellulose insulation increased fire resistance by as much as 57% over fiberglass.

I found this product to be amazing and impressive. This is one company that has taken the seriousness of becoming eco-friendly and conserving our natural resources to heart. Not only has it proven its worth in doing so, it has made itself consumer friendly as well.