From Dean on February 28th, 2007 in Bathroom Remodel
While bathrooms often present design challenges, the range of design possibilities is virtually unlimited except by one’s imagination. Who would have thought ten or twenty years ago that the lowly bath would one day take an honored place in the pages of Architectural Digest? Here are some of the more exciting developments in the world of bath design:
- Above-counter and under-counter sinks run the gamut of fabrications from ceramic, gemstone, stone, glass, molded stainless steel and even copper, which incidentally is more antibacterial than stainless steel.
- Sinks may be custom designed, hand blown, hi-tech and painted. Or what about an elegant hammered metal polished to a soft patina? The choices are stunning.
- Hardware is trending toward warmer finishes, like satin nickel, brushed chrome, and oil-rubbed bronze. Handsome and understated hardware designs are becoming ubiquitous as are space-saving wall-mounted faucets.
- Bathrooms become personal retreats with steam shower spas, dual hand-held showerheads, body sprays, air jet tubs and of course, whirlpool tubs.
- Separate tubs and glass enclosed showers are common in new houses where bathroom sizes are considerably larger than older houses.
- The average bathroom has almost tripled in size in the past decade, according to a Wall Street Journal report and increasing bathroom size is the number one trend in bath remodeling.
- Installing pieces of furniture, such as a wicker chaise or an armoire, is the latest designer trend in the larger baths.
- Luxuries such as heated toilet seats and towel bars, radiant heated flooring and electric mirror defoggers are all sought-after in cooler climates.
- More extravagant features include bidets, fireplaces and entertainment centers with hidden plasma screen TV and soothing music.
- Vivid color is coming to bathroom design in recycled and new glass tile, used inventively as iridescent glass mosaics. Some popular colors employed in baths are earth tones of red, blue, deep forest green, emerald green, terra cotta and rust.
- The trend in bathroom lighting is in sconces that provide soft and warm ambient light, some with a 7-watt nightlight feature. Fan/light combos are finding particular use in bathrooms as well, where ventilation is essential to control mold and mildew.
- In addition to wonderful shades in toweling and carpets, art on the walls and tropical houseplants such as ficus, bamboo, ferns and orchids add those delicious final touches to any bath design.
From initial estimate to final walk through our bathroom remodeling contractors are available for your questions and concerns. Click Here to Get Your Free Estimate.
[tags]bath design, bathroom design, bathroom lighting, bathroom tubs[/tags]