From Euphrasia on January 14th, 2009 in Bathroom Remodel
Before we get into the “chic” aspect, it’s useful to know what the experts consider to be an eco-friendly, or green, bathroom.
Lili Wright, who is currently co-chair of the Monterey Bay Committee of the U.S. Green Building Council Northern California Chapter, talks about green bathrooms in her article for GreenHomeGuide, Elements of a Green Bathroom. She writes, “Green materials and ecological design are the cutting edge ways to implement sound health and hygiene practices, ensuring that clean water and clean air and healthy habitats remain available for all species over time.”
According to Wright, there are 9 elements that can significantly contribute to the greening of a bathroom. Although she goes into more detail in her article, the brief descriptions are:
- Use flooring made of natural substances, such as linoleum made from wood flour, resins, and linseed oil.
- For vanities and cabinets, avoid models made with particle board, which contains formaldehyde.
- Try vetrazzo, made from recycled glass, for countertops.
- Use ceramic or porcelain tiles for walls and shower interiors.
- Use safe, green caulking substances.
- Install new-model toilets that use only 1.6 gallons per flush (GPF).
- Use eco-friendly bathcare products.
- Effective ventilation – fans and windows – keep the air fresh.
- Design for longevity for less maintenance and fewer repairs.
Thanks, Lili! Now that we understand the basics, let’s move to the “chic” part. With eco-friendly materials used in the construction of the bathroom itself, now comes the fun part of selecting organic accessories that make your bathroom feel like your own personal health spa.
- Organic Cotton, Linen, and Hemp Bath Accessories: for luscious towels, robes, shower curtains, bath mats, and more, the products at Rawganique.com are sure to please. Plus, they’re made in “sweatshop-free” facilities, so the company’s commitment to “striving for true purity and sustainability on this fragile planet of ours” extends to care for the people who make the products.
- Pristine Planet gives you options for both practical and decorative items, including safe and organic cleaners, spa products, and travel bags and cases for soaps and toothbrushes for the eco-chic traveler.
- Kasper Organics offers “affordable and socially responsible organic cotton clothing and accessories for men and women,” and features organic cotton towels and a wonderful sherpa robe that’s “Fuzzy to the touch and made for after bath, spa, or just lounging around.”
With your own eco-chic bathroom, you’re sure to feel healthier and more wholesome – a good way to start the day, or to nurture yourself on a relaxing evening or weekend.